The history of the Apalachicola Northern Railroad (ANRR) began April 7, 1903, when a charter was issued by the State of Florida to construct a route north from Apalachicola on the Gulf Coast to River Junction, through Gadsden, Liberty and Franklin Counties.
The ANRR opened to rail traffic in 1907, serving as the first north-south rail line connecting existing railroads at River Junction (Chattahoochee) and the port at Apalachicola. In 1910, the railroad was extended to Port St. Joe. Along the 96-mile line, forest resources were harvested and the area teemed with sawmills and turpentine stills. The rail line provided a more reliable method of transportation for passengers and goods versus the boats that plied the Apalachicola River. The Greensboro Depot was constructed in 1907 by ANRR and served as the principal transportation hub for this community until 1966. Greensboro began as a railroad junction, and developed into an incorporated community in 1911. The Greensboro Depot is the last surviving depot on the ANRR. Originally located between the main and side tracks one block south of its present location, it was sold to a private individual in 1966, moved one block, and remodeled into a barber shop. Threatened by demolition, the old depot was again saved and moved to 115 Duffle Avenue in 2007, with the help of WGHS volunteers, a grant from the Florida Department of Transportation, Progress Energy and the building owner. The building was restored by the West Gadsden Historical Society, Inc. and houses the Greensboro Depot Railroad Museum.
The Greensboro Depot Railroad Museums houses a collection of railroad memorabilia of other historic railroad, and a vast collection tools and equipment used by ANRR. It includes original furnishings once housed in various depots along the ANRR. Especially treasured is the Billy Howell Railroad Collection. This collection on loan from Margaret Howell Askew includes a brass bell and whistle from a steam engine and original train equipment used by Billy’s father, Willie Howell, who began his career as an ANRR engineer in 1920.
Adjacent to the Greensboro Depot is the Patrice Fletcher Vice Meeting Room. This facility is available for rent as your next venue. It is the perfect location for a business meeting, class reunion, community get together or shower. The facility includes a small wet bar, pull down slide screen, digital projector (you must provide a computer) and adjacent men and women restrooms.
Billy Howell, ANRR
The Patricia Fletcher Vice Meeting Room is available for rental as a venue for meetings and small events. Our rental agreement is shown below. (Rental is $75 for members)
Contact us for more information at email@example.com