The collection showcases Physicians, Pharmacies, their medical supplies and other members of medicine who were active in Gadsden County prior to 1965. These individuals’ biographies open a window to a very different time for both a profession and a community, when the availability of material goods — even medical necessities — and the established beliefs and practices of professionals were less certain, but the need to work, serve, and help others was as clear as it always has been in Gadsden County.
A special recognition of Dr. Pat Woodward, Gadsden County’s first pediatrician, is also included. Dr. Pat is an active member of WGHS and his impact on our county’s children cannot go unmentioned. If you have comments or additional information to be reviewed for inclusion, please contact us.
WILLIAM FITZGERALD BOOTH
Born 1796 in Dinwiddie City, Virginia
Died May 1858 in Quincy, Florida
Dr. Booth was the son of William Fitzgerald Booth and Mary Ann Fitzgerald. In 1827 he married Sarah Gilliam Coe in 1827. Together they had 4 children. Dr. and Mrs. Booth lived near Courtland, AL, and moved to Quincy, FL, in the 1830s where he practiced medicine.
JOHN M. W. DAVIDSON
Born 9 November 1801 in Mecklenburg
County, North Carolina
Died 16 November 1879 in Quincy, Florida Dr. Davidson, married Mary J. Sylvester, and they had four daughters and five sons. He settled in Gadsden County in 1828 before moving into the new town of Quincy some years later. While operating a successful medical practice, Davidson maintained extensive agricultural interests
DR CHARLES ARNOULD HENTZ
Birth 27 May 1827 Chapel Hill, Orange County, North Carolina
Death 30 Jun 1894 Brevard, Florida
Dr. Charles Arnould Hentz graduated from the Kentucky School of Medicine at Louisville in 1848. He then moved to Florida and set up his practice in Port Jackson, Florida. In 1851, he boarded with Jason Gregory at Ocheesee. In 1854, he married Mary Elizabeth Gilliam Booth and they settled in Aspalaga. He wrote that his practice lay on both sides of the Apalachicola River.
Later he relocated to Marianna and then ultimately in Quincy.
Dr. Hentz and Elizabeth Booth had 11 children together. After her death, he then married Cornelia Fitzgerald Munroe on October 27, 1873, in Quincy, Florida. He died on June 30, 1894, in Brevard, Florida, at the age of 67.
Doctors Requiring Additional Research:
William Stillman Bell
Shelton Sorrell Bridges
Henry H. Cheatham
F. Counsel Herring
Drs. William Fitzgerald Booth and John M. W. Davidson
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN BARNES
Birth 28 FEBRUARY 1877 • Monticello, Florida
Death 11 SEPTEMBER 1959 • Dothan, Alabama
Dr. Barnes spent his boyhood on a farm, acquired a country school education, attended the high school at Monticello, and spent two years, 1895-96 and 1896-97, in the South Florida Military and Educational Institute. In 1897 he began the study of medicine in the University of Pennsylvania, spent two years there and one year in the University of Maryland. He received his medical degree in 1901, from the Marion Sims College of Medicine in St. Louis. Dr. Barnes returned to Monticello in June, 1901 and was in general practice there two years. In 1903, he moved to Chattahoochee where he continued general practice until 1910. He was then appointed the first assistant physician to the Florida State Hospital in 1910-1914, and again in 1921. He then resigned this post and resumed his private practice at Chattahoochee. Dr. Barnes owned the River Junction Drug Store. He was a member of the Gadsden-Leon County Medical Society and the Florida State and American Medical Associations. He was actively interested in the Red Cross and other movements during the World War I. In the interval between his services with the State Hospital, Dr. Barnes was local physician for the Louisville & Nashville, Seaboard Atlantic Coast Line and the Apalachicola Northern Railroads. He was instrumental in incorporating the town of River Junction and served as mayor and as the director of the Gadsden County Chamber of Commerce. He married Lena Johnson in 1903.
Children: Mary Olivia, Benjamin F., Jr. and Marjorie
JULIUS CAESAR DAVIS, SR.
Birth 27 JUNE 1886 • Iron Duff, North Carolina
Death 26 FEBRUARY 1960 • Quincy, Gadsden, Florida
A native of North Carolina, Dr. Davis graduated from the Atlanta School of Medicine in 1911. Dr. Davis began his practice riding horseback through the mountains in North Carolina. After one cold winter that gave him both pneumonia and a broken ankle, he decided to move south and began practicing medicine in Quincy in 1911. His 1st office was on the second floor of the
Wagon-Buggy agency building (later the May Tobacco Company.) In 1913 he helped organized the Leon-Gadsden County Medical Society and was the first president of the Second District Medical Society. Dr. Davis performed extensive research in intravenous injections and authored five medical books. He served as clinical director of surgery at the Florida State Hospital, medical referee or the Florida Industrial Commission and chairman of the Florida Medical Association legislative and policy committee. He led in the organization of the Gadsden-Liberty County Health Department, and that of the Gadsden County Hospital. He served as the Hospital’s business manager and medical director for 23 years. He was in the Medical Corps in World War I and was later medical examiner for the Veterans administration. Dr. Davis married Bonnie Jean Marquardt. Children: Louis P., Lora Frances and Julian, Jr.
OTHO WINTON GARDNER
Birth 11 DECEMBER 1874 • Camilla, Mitchell, Georgia
Death 29 JANUARY 1953 • Greensboro, Gadsden, Florida
After graduating Emory School of Medicine, Dr. Gardner came to Greensboro 1901, when only five families lived in the area. He served the families in the western part of Gadsden County, Florida during the early-to-mid 20th Century. He helped with the organization and incorporation of the town in 1907 and with the exception of three terms was the town’s mayor until 1950. He practiced in Greensboro over 50 years and delivered over 3000 babies. His first baby delivered in 1901, was Irene Kemp, his last Betty Sue Smith in 1943. Dr. Gardner’s first wife, Eliza Miller, died of typhoid fever shortly after their marriage in 1902. He then married Lillian Ethel Gibson in 1904. He was honored in 1951, on his 77th birthday in Greensboro, with a parade and reception at Greensboro High School Gymnasium. Over 1000 people attended and during the celebration, the newly constructed Town Hall was named in his honor. It continues to be known as Gardner Hall. Dr. Gardner never retired from practice, serving his patients until his death. Dr. Gardner’s greatest strain endured during his career was the 1918, typhoid epidemic when he worked around the clock for three weeks taking care of his patients. During his birthday party, he was quoted, “I don’t think I will ever retire, I like to stay close to my people, He then looked out over the packed school auditorium and added, “I guess you want it that way, don’t you.”
Children: Eloise. Grace, Christine, and Marguerite
ROBERT FAIN GODARD
Birth 19 JUNE 1876 • Milner, Georgia
Death 03 NOVEMBER 1950 • Quincy, Gadsden, Florida
Dr. Godard was a native of Milner, Georgia. He graduated from the University of Georgia Medical College at Augusta in 1900, and practiced for two years in Citra, Florida. He moved to Quincy in 1903. For a time, he was on staff of the State Hospital in Chattahoochee and an officer for the State Board of Health but resumed his practice in Quincy in 1906. Dr. Godard married Mamie Furlow (Susie) Davis in December 19, 1906. He served as a physician for 40 years and helped found the Gadsden County Hospital. Children: Fain, J. Davis, Martha and Sarah
JOHN METTAUER GRIFFIN, JR.
Birth 11 APRIL 1917 • Jewel, Liberty, Florida
Death 30 JUNE 1993 • Quincy, Gadsden, Florida
Dr. John Mettauer Griffin, Jr. was born in Liberty County, Florida, where his father worked with Graves Brothers as a manager of naval stores. Dr. J.M. Griffin was raised in Quincy and graduated from Quincy High School, Emory University School of Medicine and Emory University Business School. He lived in Quincy the majority of his life and was a physician for more than 40 years. Dr. Griffin married Lawson Livingston May October 5, 1952. Children: Mary Howard, Helen and Ethel
TAYLOR WOOD GRIFFIN, SR.
Birth 11 JANUARY 1910 • Van Cleve, Harrison, Mississippi
Death 11 JANURAY 1984 • Quincy, Gadsden, Florida
Taylor Wood Griffin, Sr. was born in Mississippi and moved to Quincy at the age of 4. He was a graduate of Quincy High School, of Emory University and in 1934, graduated from the
Emory University School of Medicine. In 1934, he married Helen Etheridge and began practicing medicine in Quincy in 1936. Dr. T. W. Griffin served in the Navy during World War II from 1941 to 1945. After the war he returned to his medical practice in Quincy and served as a member of the Panhandle Medical Society, the Florida Medical Association and the American Medical Association. He practiced medicine for 48 years and retired in 1983. Children: Deborah and Taylor, Jr.
SIDNEY WALTER LEVY
Birth 12 AUGUST 1905 • New York City, New York
Death 20 MAY 1986 • Tallahassee, Leon, Florida
Sidney Walter Levy was born in New York City to Dr. Abraham and Ray Levy and graduated from DeWitt Clinton High School. He graduated from Cornell University Medical College in 1931.
Dr. Levy was a captain in the Army Medical Corps. He married Rose Irene May in Franklin County, Florida, 12 June 1943. After the service, they relocated to Quincy where he served as a physician for 33 years. Children: Rachel Dorothy, Irene Teresa and Edward Abraham
WILLIAM WALTON MASSEY
Birth 19 MARCH 1888 • Barwick, Brooks, Georgia
Death 04 OCTOBER 1950 • Quincy, Gadsden, Florida
A native of Barwick, Georgia, Dr. Massey received his medical degree from the University of Georgia in 1911. He began his practice in Morven, Georgia and moved the next year to Moultrie where he practiced for 10 years. He also served in the Army during World War I, 1917-1919. He came to Quincy in 1923. He married Margaret Ward. Two of his sons also became doctors and resided in Quincy. Children: Dr. James Lloyd Massey, Dr. George M. Massey, W.W.
(Jack) Jr., and James W.
JAMES LLOYD MASSEY
Birth 26 SEPTEMBER 1912 • Morven, Brooks, Georgia
Death 06 DECEMBER 1969 • Gadsden County, Florida
Born in Morven, Georgia, he moved with his family to Quincy in 1923. He received his medical degree from Tulane University and served his internship at Hillman Hospital in Birmingham. He was a member of the American Medical Association, American Geriatric Society, the American Society of Abdominal Surgeons, the American Academy of General Practioners and a fellow of the Southeastern Surgical Congress. He married Mary Wyatt. Children: Mary Martha, James L, Jr. and William Walton
GEORGE HAROLD MASSEY SR.
Birth 07 OCTOBER 1919 • Moultrie, Colquitt, Georgia
Death 03 MARCH 1991 • Quincy, Gadsden, Florida
Dr. George Harold Massey was born in Moultrie. He graduated from the University of Florida in 1941 and from Duke University Medical School in 1944. He was a captain in the Army Medical Corps for four years, then interned at Gorgas Memorial Hospital in Panama. He was a member of the Capital City medical Association and the Florida Medical Association. He married May Randall. Children: George, Jr., Richard and Michele
HILLIARD RISHER REDDICK
Birth 10 NOVEMBER 1922, in Greenville, Florida
Death 23 MARCH 1986 in Tallahassee, Florida
Hilliard Risher Reddick was born in Greenwood, Florida. He spent his childhood in Chipley, Florida. He graduated from high school in 1940, and enrolled at Birmingham Southern College in Birmingham, Alabama. He married Mary Virginia Gilbert, his high school sweetheart, in 1945.
His studies were interrupted by World War II and he served in the 39th Infantry/9th Division and fought in the Battle of the Bulge. After the war, he returned to Birmingham Southern. Before he finished his graduation requirements, he was accepted to medical school at Temple University in Philadelphia. (He finished medical school without having a college degree and went to TCC after he retired to finish his last two classes.) While doing his internship at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, he learned that one of the physicians in Quincy had passed away and that the community was looking for a new doctor. He moved to Quincy in the summer immediately after getting through with his studies. He opened his office in 1951, in the building that had been Dr. Goddard’s office at 21 W. Washington Street. He then relocated to his newly built office at 21 N. Love Street in 1960. Dr. Reddick served as the President of the Five County Medical Society which was composed of Leon, Gadsden, Liberty, Wakulla and Jefferson Counties. He practiced in Quincy for 30 years until his retirement in 1981. Children: Hillard R., Jr. (Dick) and Jane
HUGH HARMON SAPP
Birth 17 FEBRUARY 1872 • Camilla, Georgia
Death 14 JULY 1960 • Gadsden, Florida
Dr. H. H. Sapp Was a native of Camilla, Ga., he moved to Havana in 1910, and began his medical practice that continued for 48 years. He served as Mayor of Havana. Children: Rosalie, Hugh Harmon, Jr., James Winston and Helen
JAMES WINSTON SAPP
BIRTH 16 JULY 1906 • CAMILLA, Georgia
Death 12 JANUARY 1969 • Gadsden, Florida
Born in Camila, Georgia, James Winston Sapp was the son of Hugh Harmon Sapp. Dr. Sapp graduated of Emory University Medical School in 1934. Dr. J.W. Sapp joined his father in practice in Havana in 1935. He was a member of the American Medical Association and the American Society of Abdominal Surgeons. Dr. Sapp married Helen Pearl Brown. Children: Winston, Jr., Sylvia, Sandra and Allen
WILLIAM SPENCER STEVENS
Born in Tallahassee in 1882
Died in Quincy in 1949
Dr. Stevens attended Florida State Normal and Industrial College and graduated from Meharry Medical College in Nashville. After medical school, Dr. Stevens moved to Quincy where he made history as the first black doctor to open his own medical practice in the area. Dr. Stevens also operated a community hospital for blacks and a drug store. In 1914, Dr. Stevens became the supervisor of the Quincy City Schools. In this role, he sought to enlarge the reach of Dunbar High School and oversaw a four-year improvement project in the late 1920s. After completion, the school’s name was changed in his honor. He married Annie Kent. Children: Robert M., Inez A., Lucy K., William S., Wallace H., Marion E., Jerome O. and Charles M.
KENNETH WAYNE RICHARDSON
Birth 10 SEPTEMBER 1933 • Eustis, Lake, Florida
Death 10 APRIL 2004 • Chattahoochee, Gadsden, Florida
A native of Eustis, Florida, Dr. Richardson graduated from the University of Miami School of Medicine in 1959. He joined the Thompson Clinic in Chattahoochee in 1960 and remained there
40 years until his retirement in 1987. Dr. Richardson married Betty Jo Minshew. Children: Deborah, Kenneth W., Jr., Thomas and Steven
JAMES ELSWORTH THOMPSON, SR.
Birth 22 OCTOBER 1922 • Lamar, Colorado
Death 1 DECEMBER 1992 • Gadsden County, Florida
Dr. Thompson was a native of Lamar, Colorado, and graduated from Emory University in 1948 and Emory School of Medicine in 1952. He served as a pilot in the Army Air Corps during World War II. In 1953, he moved to Chattahoochee where he founded the Thompson Clinic. He was a member of the American Medical Association and was a consultant for the State Department of Corrections. Children: James, Jr., Gerald, Carol and Pamela
BEECHAM LAMAR WATSON
Birth 18 NOVEMBER 1923 • Sneads, Jackson, Georgia
Death 12 February 1956 • Chattahoochee, Gadsden, Florida
B. Lamar Watson is the only veterinarian honored in this exhibit. Dr. Watson grew up in Sneads, Florida, and graduated from Auburn University School of Veterinarian Medicine in 1947. He was well known in Gadsden County as the County Veterinarian and worked from the Florida State Hospital in Chattahoochee. Dr. Watson served in the Army during World War II and was a member of the American Veterinarian Medical Society. Dr. Watson married Mary Lillian McDonald in 1945.
STERLING EDWARD WILHOIT
Birth 29 SEPTEMBER 1890 •Orange County, Virginia
Death 25 JULY 1967 • Pensacola, Escambia County, Florida
A Virginia farm boy, Dr. Sterling Wilhoit established his practice in Quincy because it reminded him of his native state where he found the winters too cold. Dr. Wilhoit first came to this part of Florida as a student at Palmer College in DeFuniak Springs. He later attended Union Military Academy in Fork Union, Virginia. He graduated from the Medical College of Virginia and interned at the U.S. Marine Hospital in Boston. He then served as the company doctor of his uncles, the Graves brothers, who had a big sawmill near Hosford. He served with the British Army, part of the Canadian Medical Corps at the start of World War I. Once the United States entered the conflict, Dr. Wilhoit transferred to the U. S. Army Medical Corps and served at the U.S. Queens Military Hospital in Wallen, England. After military discharge in 1919, he returned to Florida and opened his medical practice on East Jefferson Street. In 1962, Dr. Wilhoit was honored for his 50 years as a general practitioner in Gadsden County, who served many who could not afford doctor bills. One of those who honored Dr. Wilhoit was the first baby he delivered, Dr. J. M. Griffin. Married Alice Hoyt Corry 1920 Children: William Merrill Corry, and Sterling Edward, Jr. ; Married Mary Elizabeth Sapp 1939 Children: Madeleine Elizabeth
PAT MUNROE WOODWARD, SR.
Birth 16 OCTOBER 1936, in Quincy, Florida
Pat Woodward was born in Quincy to Bob and Julia Woodward. He Married Mary Jane May of Quincy June 11, 1960. Dr. Pat graduated from Gadsden County High School in 1954 and received a B.S. degree from Davidson College in 1958. He earned his medical degree from Emory University School of Medicine in 1962. He participated in a Rotating Internship at Parkland Hospital, Dallas, Texas from 1962-1963; then did Pediatric Residency at the University of Florida Teaching Hospital, Gainesville, Florida 1963-1965. He served as a Captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corp, stationed at the 20th Station Hospital in Nurnberg, Germany 1965-1967. After military service, he returned to Quincy, where he practiced Pediatrics from 1967 to 2001, providing pediatric services to the children of Gadsden County for 34 years. Dr. Woodward is a Diplomate of the American Board of Pediatrics, a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics and a member of the Capital Medical Society. He has received professional awards from Capital Medical Society I.B. Harrison Humanitarian Award, 2001; Florida Pediatric Society John H. Whitcomb M.D. Outstanding Pediatrician Award, 2001; Tallahassee Memorial Family Practice Residency Program Teacher of the Year Award, 1979 & 1988. His community Involvement includes being a member and elder of First Presbyterian Church, Member of the Quincy Rotary Club, past board member and president of the Gadsden Arts Center and past board member of the Tallahassee Community College Foundation. Pat and Mary Jane’s children: Pat Munroe, Jr., Frederick May, Daniel Love and Edward Curry and 11 grandchildren.
Gadsden County Hospital located on W. Wahington Steet. Now part of Thomas Memorial Baptist Church.
CITY DRUG STORE
Lee Laurence Willis joined T. D. Sale to open City Drugs in the early 1900’s. Mr. Willis, originally from Cottageville, South Carolina, graduated from the Atlanta College of Pharmacy in
1907. City Drugs was located on the northeast corner of Jefferson and Madison Streets.
CROUCH DRUG STORE
Samuel Cleveland Crouch was a native of Richmond County, North Carolina. After graduating from the Atlanta College of Pharmacy, he moved to Quincy and began working for Lee Willis at City Drugs. Mr. Sam, as he was known locally went into business for himself in 1926 and established Crouch Drugs. Originally located on the North side of the Square, he moved to the old City Drug Store location in 1937.
Carl P. Green was born in Greensboro and graduated from Greensboro High School. He then attended and graduated from the Southern College of Pharmacy in Atlanta in 1913. He returned to Greensboro and opened Greensboro Pharmacy the same year. Mr. Green ran the pharmacy, which included a soda fountain, until his death in 1939.
HATCHER DRUG STORE
Ender Jackson Hatcher came to the area in 1916, to originally work with McNair’s Drug Store in Tallahassee. He and his wife, Ruby Lee Hatcher, opened Hatcher Drugs prior to 1920. Hatcher Drugs was purchased by O. M. McKeown in 1946, and the name was changed to MCKEOWN PHARMACY AND CLINICAL LABORATORY. Mr. McKeown installed a clinical laboratory within the pharmacy.
F.P. MAY DRUG STORE
Establish in 1876, by Frank P. May and partner Dr. D.M. Sanford, Mr. May entered the drug business with less than $500 capital. Sanford left the partnership in 1880, and J.E. Dupont joined, but this partnership lasted less than three years. Thomas Memenger, (T. M.) Cumbie became affiliated as a partner in 1948, followed by his son Tom, Jr. who owned and operated the drug store until its closing in 1986. These were the days, when medicines were compounded and made on-site. The May’s Quick Digestive Tonic contained many ingredients, the foremost being quinine. Mr. T.M. Cumbie’s assessment, “It was good for you!”
Cordy Lafayette Massey was born 1898, in Barwick, Brooks
County, Georgia. He was the brother of Dr. William Massey. Cordy Massey graduated from the Southern School of Pharmacy in Atlanta and came to Quincy in 1922 to open Massey Drugs. He was joined in 1950’s by his son Reva Lloyd "R.L." Massey after his graduation from the University of Florida School of Pharmacy. In 1982, grandson Terrance Massey, a graduate of Mercer School of Pharmacy, joined the Massey Drugs’ team. Massey Drugs located at 105 West Jefferson Street closed its doors to business in 2022.
Gadsden County Hospital located on W. Wahington Steet. Now part of Thomas Memorial Baptist Church.